Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts – 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Author

• Chris Oliver

Participant

Who is doing a Winter Project this year? Big or small, tell us what you’re doing.

steverino

Participant

Finally getting round to recommissioning the Midget after ten years of neglect. (I bought a house that needed a lot of work so it just got laid up in the garage for longer than I expected). She’s been in my ownership for 25 years so it’s time to get stuck in with some welding but I no longer have access to the workshop so I could do with some advice on hobbyist welders that don’t cost too much but work reasonably well on car bodywork. I don’t have much faith in gasless MIG though. Any suggestions welcome

Chris Oliver

Participant

Hi Steve, we know just the person to answer this for you. Watch out for her reply.

mnjautocare

Hi Steve,
    For DIY, using domestic electrics. I would suggest using a welder with a minimum output (lowest setting) of no more than 30amps as it will just blow holes in your panels.
    Inverter MIG sets are more efficient than the older transformer sets, meaning you have a lot more control over what material you are welding (body panels 0.6 – 0.9mm, chassis rails 2-3mm etc)
    For at home restorations I would recommend something like the R-Tech 180amp portable inverter Mig welder. This will give you the ability to diversify your welding tasks without being limited by your machine.
    I agree with your comment about gasless welding sets, in my experience – welds are inconsistent, wire is expensive in comparison etc.
    The R-Tech 180 comes with a gas regulator, 3 year warranty & very good technical support. Most hire shops etc do welding gases now at a reasonable price.
    Check out this link for more info HAPPY WELDING !!!

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-i-mig180

Thank you & I hope this helps you find the ideal welder.
    Take care,
    Jody / Auto Lass

Chris Oliver

Participant

Thanks Jody, you’re a STAR!

steverino

Participant

Thanks for that, I used to have access to some fab equipment back in the day but don’t feel like stumping up a couple of grand to buy something similar to what I used to use. Great tip, I’ll check it out. I do have a gasless set but it’s minimum wire size is .8 and it’s fine for 3mm steel but it takes some really careful use on 1mm and I don’t think I could stand the stress! I have to weld in a new rear floor panel and spring hanger as well as partial inner and outer sill so it’s not going to be a five minute job.

mnjautocare

No worries at all

Davebrown

Participant

Welding is one of the things I won’t have a crack at, just know it’ll end in flames quite literally, fortunately both of the Alfa projects are sound in that aspect so just trim, paint and oily bits to sort once I’ve finished the electrics 😂

Viewing 8 posts – 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.