Viewing 11 posts – 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Author

• Chris Oliver

Participant

I’ve always loved Harleys. But would I BUY one…should I? That’s the question.

PaulTheOther1

Participant

Never owned one but I’m in the same boat, could I, should I and would I.

If I’m honest I have a bit of a guilty pleasure/lust in the electric Harley – Livewire….

A test ride might be on the cards.. although it’s a bit spiteful at £28k

Chris Oliver

Participant

Can we just stop with the electric nonsense….

mreevesmsr

Participant

The quick answer for me is No. Not a chance. I’d consider a Buell, who used to use HD motors, but never a Harley. Sorry.

MartyB

Participant

I bought one nearly 3 years ago. Not seen it yet ( other than pictures)
    It’s sat in Idaho waiting for my much postponed American adventure.
    No idea if I’ll like it but I’ve got about 4000 miles to decide 😂
    Oh it’s not electric

Andrew Burgess

Participant

There is no answer to the question as its subjective. I’ve ridden bikes daily for the last 45 years. When I was 18 I wouldn’t have touched an HD with a barge pole. 10 years a go I started going to the USA to ride on an annual basis. First time out I rode a Street Glide down PCH from San Fran to LA. I was blown away at how well it handled, how comfortable,the torque and just how user friendly it was. I’ve been back many times since and its my go to bike over there. Would I buy one for the UK? yes absolutely but again it depends what you want it for and how you ride. I no longer have any interest in riding a race replica on the road I find them small and uncomfortable (mainly due to my age and not a comment on the undoubted quality of the bikes). My daily ride is a Triumph Tiger Rally pro and I have a couple of hand built bikes for show and riding (one will be coming up for auction here soon). So to answer your question yes I would buy one but I can talk from experience. when it comes to the Free ride, I haven’t ridden one but they don’t seem to suffer a great reputation yet (ive seen several on fire!!!). However whether we like it or not it would seem as though electric bikes are the way forward. Triumph have put millions into developing a bike to be marketed in the next few year. Any how the real point of this is to say A lot of people who have never ridden a HD will bad mouth them and they are entitled to their opinion as bikes are subjective but like anything if you are thinking of owning one then get it out for more than a 15 minute test ride.

Ian Quarry

No 😉 But I know many would… Can’t get on with the feet first riding position – Very much each to their own. If you want one, Chris, just you go for it 👍👍

sbvchippy

Participant

Ive had two, older ones, an FXR which rode really nice and an Super Glide which was a really nice turquoise and black colour which was a real stunner of a bike to look at, but a bit cumbersome around our little roads and a nightmare to move around at home on my shingle drive. I really should have kept that bike and just put it in the corner somewhere to look at.

Gav Dowling

Participant

Got 2 for sale & judging by this forum here is not the place to try to sell em

DereC3Vette

Participant

I grew up on sports bikes and thought Harleys were a bit of a joke until i rode one when i became amazed by the difference in riding style, instead of being intensely focused on the next corner apex and exit you cruise along suddenly aware that there is scenery to take in. Its a slower pace of life on a Harley, the brakes may not be as sharp as a sports bike but they dont need to be, it wont catapult you down the road like a sports bike but thats not what its about. If you want one and can scrape the money together, go for it.

srm.holt

Participant

Definitely. I’ve had 3, a 1997 883 Evo sportster, a 2004 1458 twin cam Road King Classic and a 1996 1340 Evo Fatboy. I loved the Sportster, ideal for short town work, punchy engine, good looking bike. The RK was delightful, stunning bike but a tad too heavy for me. The Fatboy was lovely. It had too much chrome on it for my liking, but it was so easy to ride. I sold all 3 for more than I paid for them, (the older bikes seem to hold value more than the newer ones), and had loads of fun on them all. There are a lot of people around who will put you off these bikes, but ownership is really easy. General advice is (and this was given to me years ago) don’t buy anything post 2007. They rust for a pastime after that. Let me know if you want any advice.

Viewing 11 posts – 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.