Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts – 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Author

• PaulTheOther1

Participant

I have dipped my toe in the electric car world and found….. And wait for it…….
    I quite like it, there are some massive downsides, the obvious one being range and another being the extra weight affecting the handling. It’s a tiny bit wallowy (is that a word).
    My thinking is, the mileage most classics travel the range won’t be an issue but the upsides are the cost savings I have made in company car tax and fuel, plus it is quite nice to drive with immediate acceleration and plenty of torque at rolling speeds.
    Either way will I be banished from the Classic car community or do you live and let live.
    The reason I ask is that during a conversation at the recent Classic Car Show I mentioned this and the guy looked at me like I had two heads….
    What is your view on electric car drivers??

Chris Oliver

Participant

Noooooooooooooo

Banished? Yesssssssssssss

bdoswell

Participant

We run a second hand i3 (67 plate), rear wheel drive, carbon fibre frame, 170bhp – it’s an absolute hoot. In winter it’s range is around 100 miles, and summer nearer 130. We use it as an errands / shopping and general go to car.

Not a total convert as I’ve still got a daily diesel and other ICE classics but it’s a great drive, and up to 70(ish) is as fast as an SLk32 (345bhp).

PaulTheOther1

Participant

Love it… I think the range issue will deminish over time so watch this space….. It will be interesting to see what the first “accepted” classic electric car will be…. I doubt it’ll be a Prius 😜

bdoswell

Participant

Not a Prius…. Agreed. The i3 is pretty revolutionary. Mind you… I think an i3 would make a great chassis base for Midget;MGB conversion.

DereC3Vette

Participant

Dont get too hung up on electric cars guys. The car replaced the horse but you can still ride a horse. The electric train replaced the steam train but you can still ride in a steam train. The classic car scene will live on, there is far too much money in the classic car ‘industry’ for it to be killed off by the government. When 90% + of drive to work, school & supermarket cars are electric then government attention will switch elsewhere. Yes, i own both.. EV & V8 and theyre both great in their own way. There is no need to be ‘Tribal’ about EV v’s ICE, they can coexist.

Paul Cunningham

Keymaster

Great points around progression, nothing stands still and i think the most pertinent point you make is the amount of money in the industry….

The is some mileage yet in the classic car scene..

srm.holt

Participant

Me too. Just bought a new i3. Love it, range is approximately 175 miles but in the summer I will get c. 200.

Paul Cunningham

Keymaster

My mileage seems to be a lot less in the winter, I am as low as 50%, 100 in the winter and 200 in the summer. I do heat the seats and steering wheel plus i leave in the dark and come home in the dark but it is a massive drop

Viewing 9 posts – 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.